Tuesday 7 August 2007

My first live set in Second Life

My first live appearance in SL was in the Summer of Love festival at Audio sim on 4th August. Hosted by Audiocourses.com, the two-day event was to commemorate 40 years since the original Summer of Love in the San Francisco area in 1967. The arena is vast, and could be quite intimidating for the performer playing in the centre with audience all around. They provided their own high quality streaming server and had no problem connecting my stream up. I hadn't widely broadcast my appearance in case I made a right hash of things, but I was delighted to see some of my friends in the audience of about 20 to 25. My first few songs were in line with the Summer of Love theme. San Francisco (wear some flowers in your hair) and California Dreaming, followed by Bob Dylan's - If not for you and I'll be your baby tonight. Seemed to go down well with the audience even though those songs were all before their time - and mine. Another dozen songs and my 50 minutes were up, and just as I had finished the last one, I crashed. On re-logging I found that the whole sim had crashed. I know Kim Seifert has often crashed the sim after attracting huge crowds, but had I really managed to do this on my first gig? Perhaps it had something to do with Silham Palmer's fans arriving early en-masse, or maybe it was just one of those annoying SL glitches. We'll never know!

More snapshots of my gig (and others) can be found on flickr.com at this location
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrishambly/1026211335/in/set-72157601102831746/

No comments: